Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. At no cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
When you go vegan, you’ll find yourself in the uncomfortable position of having to replace a lot of the everyday items in your home. One such item that’s often overlooked is your chapstick. Sadly, not all chapsticks are vegan.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you buy from my link I might make a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay. See the full affiliate disclosure here.
Keep reading to find out what non vegan ingredients cosmetic companies put in lip balm and to see a complete list of all the vegan chapsticks available to vegans.
What Ingredients Make Lip Balm Not Vegan?
Lip balm typically has a few non-vegan ingredients, which are: lanolin, beeswax
Lanolin is commonly found in chapstick. Consumer product manufacturers of cosmetic, beauty, and hair products love to use lanolin oil because of its moisturizing properties. It’s an oil that’s secreted from sheep’s skin and is extracted through a machine that separates the oil from other substances.
Related Content: The Complete List of Vegan Cereals
Beeswax is commonly used in chapsticks and lotions. It goes by the name Cera Alba when you look at a product’s ingredients. This is the non vegan ingredient you want to avoid. While it has a number of benefits, which include: moisturization, protection from UV rays, natural, and sweet taste and smell, it’s not vegan or cruelty-free.
Honey bees secrete wax to form their hexagonal shaped honeycombs. It serves three essential functions, which are to raise their offspring, store honey, and store pollen. As vegans, we believe it is wrong to eat honey, mistreat bees, and to rob the bees of their beeswax.
List of Vegan Chapsticks
My family and I personally use and love Hurraw Balm. Here are some other great alternatives as well.
1. Soapwalla lip balm – https://soapwalla.com/collections/lips
2. Crazy Rumors – https://amzn.to/3bndgdP
3. Booda Butter Original Lip Balm – https://boodaorganics.com/
4. Eco Lips Bee Free collection – https://amzn.to/3rqjlfm
Not all chapsticks from Eco Lips are vegan. They do have a special vegan product line called Bee Free. It comes in the following flavors: Lemon lime, super fruit, sweet mint, and unscented.
5. Pacifica Beauty – https://amzn.to/3elJ44P
All of their products are vegan and cruelty-free.
6. Pure + Simple https://amzn.to/3rqyYU0
7. Aveda Lip Saver – https://www.aveda.com/product/5336/16543/makeup/lips/lip-saver
Related Content: The Complete List of Vegan Deodorants
8. Meow Meow Tweet Vegan Lip Balm – https://meowmeowtweet.com/collections/face/products/vegan-lip-balm
9. Crazy Cat Lady Vegan Lip Balm – https://amzn.to/3c38YHX
10. Le Labo Lip Balm – https://www.nordstrom.com/s/le-labo-lip-balm/4753599
11. Nature’s Basics By Ava – https://www.naturesbasics.ca/lip-balm
12. Shea Moisture Vegan Lip Balm – https://amzn.to/3rpE3fd
13. CannaSmack vegan hemp lip balm – https://cannasmack.com/vegan-hemp-lip-balm/
14. Lush Key Lime Pie Lip Balm – https://www.lushusa.com/face/lip-scrubs-and-balms/key-lime-pie/9999906239.html
15. Merry Hempster’s vegan hemp lip balm – https://merryhempsters.com/product-category/vegan-hemp-lip-balm/
16. The Fanciful Fox – https://fancifulfox.myshopify.com/collections/lips
17. Tarte Lip Rescue – https://tartecosmetics.com/shop/quench-lip-rescue-770.html
18. Bare English & Co lip balm – https://www.bareenglish.com/collections/lip-balm
19. Sun Bum lip balm – https://amzn.to/3sRjOaG
20. NCLA Beauty lip balms – https://nclabeauty.com/collections/lip-treatments
21. Root Pretty – https://www.rootpretty.com/collections/pretty-balms
22. Red Apple Lipstick lip balm – https://petitvour.com/collections/lip-balm-treatment/products/rallye-gluten-free-lip-balm
23. Bite Beauty Agave+ Daytime Lip Balm https://amzn.to/3rmKHmE
24. Biossance Squalane Rose Vegan Lip Balm – https://biossance.com/products/squalane-rose-vegan-lip-balm
25. Dr. PawPaw Original Clear Balm – https://amzn.to/3sPNlBq
26. Palmer’s Coconut Oil Lip Balm – https://amzn.to/2O72Ia6
27. The Ilex Wood Lemon and Peppermint Balm – https://amzn.to/3bkgUVU
28. Benecos Natural Lip Balm – https://amzn.to/3kS5T1k
29. Smax Wax lip balms – https://smaxwax.com/collections/smax-wax-vegan-lip-balm-all-natural-cruelty-free
30. David’s Tea Just Peachy Tea-Infused Lip Butter – https://www.davidstea.com/us_en/teaware/just-peachy-tea-infused-lip-butter/990721US01.html
31. Alaffia Purely Coconut lip balm – https://amzn.to/3rB6LKt
32. Lipster Original Lip Balm – https://amzn.to/3kR8gRQ
33. Soothing Touch Unscented vegan lip balm – https://amzn.to/3cnlx11
34. Sunbum SPF 30 Pomegranate Lip Balm – https://amzn.to/2PJG1JH
35. E.L.F Calm Balm – https://amzn.to/38fRHKA
36. Sprouts Cherry Lip Balm – https://shop.sprouts.com/product/27977/sprouts-cherry-lip-balm
37. My Lip Stuff – https://mylipstuffstore.com/
38. Arbonne Shea Butter Moisturizing Lip Balm –https://www.arbonne.com/pws/homeoffice/store/AMUS/product/Shea-Butter-Moisturizing-Lip-Balm-9889,11436,310.aspx
39. Diamond Balm – https://www.diamondbalm.com/
If I missed any vegan chapsticks that you think should be added to list, let me know and I’ll update the post. Which of these chapsticks is your favorite?
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.