Here you’ll find a recipe for vegan pesto sauce that you’ll love! It’s fresh, quick, easy to make, and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients. Bonus: it only takes 10 minutes to make!
Why make this recipe?
- Light – The fresh ingredients of this vegan pesto sauce recipe make it so light, unlike other pasta sauces that tend to be heavy, like Alfredo sauce.
- Simple – This recipe only calls for a few ingredients, doesn’t use a lot of equipment, and is quick to make.
- Dairy-free – Pesto sauce typically has parmesan cheese in it, but this plant-based version does not. I don’t even miss cheese in it because it already has so much flavor without it.
- Pine nuts – If you are unable to use pine nuts for this recipe, you can swap them out for walnuts, pecans, almonds, or sunflower seeds.
- Basil – The basil can be substituted for kale or spinach if you’d prefer to use one of those instead.
Step By Step Instructions
Step 1 – Peel the garlic.
Step 2 – Put all of the ingredients into the food processor.
Step 3 – Blend it all together in the food processor until it is smooth.
Tips and tricks
- If you miss having cheese in your pesto sauce, try adding a little nutritional yeast to the recipe.
- I love buying a basil plant instead of a batch of picked basil. You will get a lot more basil from it. I love to harvest it, then keep growing the plant so I can make it again when it grows back. This video will show you how to harvest basil.
- Pine nuts can be expensive. I recommend buying them from the bins where you can scoop out the amount you need instead of buying them prepackaged. This usually makes it a little cheaper.
Popular Pesto Questions
Vegan pesto is typically made of basil, olive oil, garlic, and pine nuts. Other nuts can be used, such as almonds and walnuts. Some people even use pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds. Non vegan pesto typically has Parmesan cheese in it.
No. Parmesan cheese is made of cow’s milk. Vegans do not consume milk from animals. A great non-dairy alternative to Parmesan cheese is nutritional yeast. It has been described to have a nutty, cheesy, and savory flavor.
No, it is not vegan. It contains animal byproducts such as Parmesan cheese.
The Best Vegan Pesto Sauce Recipe
- Food processor
- 2 cup Fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup Pine nuts
- 2/3 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves Garlic
- Peel garlic
- Put all ingredients in food processor
- Blend well in the food processor until it is smooth
- Add a little nutritional yeast to the recipe if you’re missing the cheese flavor.
- Pine nuts can be substituted for walnuts, pecans, almonds, or sunflower seeds.
Have you made this recipe? If so, comment and leave us a review on it! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, Pinterest, and Twitter, and subscribe to my YouTube channel.