Being vegan is awesome! Lots of amazing things have been said about veganism and living a plant based lifestyle.
2. If you think it’s wrong to hurt animals, you already believe in being vegan.
3. A peaceful world starts with how we treat our most vulnerable.
4. "Align your actions with your values. If you believe that the life of an animal has higher value than your taste buds then reevaluate the purchases that you make. Every time you reach for a bacon sandwich, dairy ice cream, or any animal product, you’re saying that you value your taste buds over the life of the animal who suffered and died for your purchases. Is this really the choice that you want to make?" Earthling Ed
Related Content: The Complete List of Vegan Cereals
5. "As often as Herman had witnessed the slaughter of animals and fish, he always had the same thought: in their behavior towards creatures, all men were Nazis. The smugness with which man could do with other species as he pleased exemplified the most extreme racist theories, the principle that might is right." Isaac Bashevis Singer, Enemies: A Love Story
6. "It takes nothing away from a human to be kind to an animal." Joaquin Phoenix
7. "Not your mom, not your milk."
8. "If you think that being vegan is hard, imagine being a factory farmed animal."
9. "If you think eating meat is just a personal choice, you're forgetting someone."
10. "There's a reason why you take your kids to pick apples but you don't take them to a slaughterhouse."
11. "Not a single creature deserves to be mistreated, or abused. Not a one." A.D. Williams
12. "Could you look an animal in the eyes and say to it, 'My appetite is more important than your suffering' ?" Moby
13. "The question isn’t can they reason, nor can they talk, but can they suffer?" Jeremy Bentham
14. "When you feel the suffering of every living thing in your own heart, that's consciousness." Bhagavad Gita
15. "If that is all a healthy plant-based diet could do - reverse heart disease, the number one killer of men and women in the US - shouldn’t that be the default diet until proven otherwise." Michael Gregor
16. "Objectification reduces sensitivity. Thus cows are called beef or head of cattle, pigs become pork, sheep mutton. The screams are muted.. and living creatures become plastic wrapped packages." Fruitarian Network
17. "Veganism is not about how easy or hard it is for you. It's about every animal's right not to be used as a slave." Randy Sandberg
18. "Fish are friends, not food." Sharks in Finding Nemo
19. "Everyone wants to change the world, nobody wants to change what they eat for breakfast."
Related Content: 13 Jamba Juice Vegan Options You'll Have To Try
20. "Animals don’t have a voice, but I do. A loud one. A big mouth. My voice is for them. And I’ll never shut up while they suffer." Ricky Gervais
21. "Becoming vegan is not a trend, it is an awakening."
22. "If you think being vegan is difficult, you're focused more on yourself than the victims."
23. "Be kind to every kind."
24. "Veganism is not a 'sacrifice'. It is a joy."
25. "There is a reason why human rights groups do not develop or endorse humane methods of torturing and executing political prisoners, and why children's rights advocates do not collaborate with the international pornography industry to develop standards and special labeling for films that make "compassionate" use of runaway teens. To do such things is to introduce moral ambiguity into situations where the boundaries between right and wrong must never be allowed to blur. To be the agent of such blurring is to become complicit oneself in the violence and abuse." James LaVeck
26. "It is difficult to get someone to understand something, when their salary depends upon their not understanding it!" Upton Cinclair
27. "Eat nothing with a face or a mother."
28. "Saving one animal won’t change the world. But it’ll change the world for that one animal."
29. "If you can live happily and healthily without harming animals then why wouldn't you?"
30. "Veganism isn't a belief. Animals are dying. The planet is dying. We could make it better. Choices. That's not a belief. That's a fact."
31. "Veganism is not about giving anything up or losing anything; it is about gaining the peace within yourself that comes from embracing nonviolence and refusing to participate in the exploitation of the vulnerable." Gary L Francione
32. "Vegan, just do it. Because posting nice Buddhist quotes about respecting all life, while believing it's okay to eat animals, doesn't make sense."
33. "I am determined not to kill, not to let others kill, and not to support any act of killing in the world. We should consume in such a way that helps reduce the suffering of living beings. And that way we can preserve compassion in our hearts." Thich Nhat Hanh
34. "If man wants freedom why keep birds and animals in cages? Truly man is the king of beasts, for his brutality exceeds them. We live by the death of others. We are burial places! I have since an early age abjured the use of meat." Leonardo da Vinci
35. "The problem is that humans have victimized animals to such a degree that they are not even considered victims. They are nothing. They don't count; they don't matter; they're commodities like TV sets and cell phones. We have actually turned animals into inanimate objects - sandwiches and shoes." Gary Yourofsky
36. "Some people think plant-based diet, whole foods diet is extreme. Half a million people a year have their chests opened up and a vein taken from their leg and sewn onto their coronary artery. Some people would call that extreme." Caldwekk Esselstyn
37. "Every living creature has the right to live ethically."
38. "There’s absolutely no reason to eat animals."
39. "If aliens visited earth and decided to eat humans, would that be okay?"
40. "Eggs are hen's periods."
41. "Animals are equal to humans (while CARING when they're not seen as so.)"
42. "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."
43. "The food you eat can either be the safest & most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison." Ann Wigmore
Related Content: 8 Vegan Celebs You May Not Know About
44. "If you choose to eat meat, you love pets not animals." Miley Cyrus
45. "Every little life is big to the one living it."
46. "The question is not, Can they reason?, nor Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? Why should the law refuse its protection to any sensitive being?" Jeremy Bentham (1789), An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation
47. "There is no fundamental difference between man and the higher mammals in their mental faculties ... The difference in mind between man and the higher animals, great as it is, certainly is one of degree and not of kind." Charles Darwin (1871), The Descent of Man
48. "Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages." Thomas Edison (1890), Harper’s Magazine
49. "Nothing more strongly arouses our disgust than cannibalism, nothing so surely unmortars a society; nothing, we might plausibly argue, will so harden and degrade the minds of those that practice it. And yet we ourselves make much the same appearance in the eyes of the Buddhist and the vegetarian. We consume the carcasses of creatures of like appetites, passions, and organs with ourselves; we feed on babes, though not our own; and the slaughter-house resounds daily with screams of pain and fear. We distinguish, indeed; but the unwillingness of many nations to eat the dog, an animal with whom we live on terms of the next intimacy, shows how precariously the distinction is grounded." Robert Louis Stevenson (1896), In the South Seas, Chapter 11, “Long Pig
50. "No doubt the first man that ever murdered an ox was regarded as a murderer; perhaps he was hung; and if he had been put on his trial by oxen, he certainly would have been; and he certainly deserved it if any murderer does. Go to the meat-market of a Saturday night and see the crowds of live bipeds staring up at the long rows of dead quadrupeds. Does not that sight take a tooth out of the cannibal's jaw? Cannibals? Who is not a cannibal? I tell you it will be more tolerable for the Fejee that salted down a lean missionary in his cellar against a coming famine; it will be more tolerable for that provident Fejee, I say, in the day of judgment, than for thee, civilized and enlightened gourmand, who nailest geese to the ground and feastest on their bloated livers in thy pâté-de-foie-gras." Herman Melville (1851), Moby Dick, Chapter 65, “The Whale as a Dish”
51. “And as the butcher takes away the calf, And binds the wretch, and beats it when it strives, Bearing it to the bloody slaughter-house; Even so, remorseless, have they borne him hence: And as the dam runs lowing up and down, Looking the way her harmless young one went, And can do naught but wail her darling’s loss, Even so myself bewail good Glo’ster’s case, With sad unhelpful tears; and with dimmed eyes Look after him, and cannot do him good.” William Shakespeare (c. 1591), King Henry VI, Part 2, Act 3, scene 3
52. "Love animals, eat plants."
53. "My food is grown, not born."
54. "I don't understand why asking people to eat a well-balanced plant-based diet is considered drastic, while it is medically conservative to cut people open and put them on cholesterol-lowering drugs for the rest of their lives." Dr. Dean Ornish, MD
55. "The best thing we can do for the living world is to stop eating meat, milk, and eggs." George Monbiot
56. "All Beings tremble before violence. All fear death, all love life. See yourself in others. Then whom can you hurt? What harm can you do?" Buddha
57. "I am empathetic to people who face some challenges as they move toward a more vegan lifestyle but I admit that I get irritated when people whine that it's hard. Living in a cage? That would be unbearably hard. Being separated from my mother, being mutilated without an anesthesia, having no room to move, being surrounded by a horrendous odor and screams and tremendously stressed out peers? That would be incomprehensibly hard. Being tortured and killed so others can eat me? There are challenges for some people, no doubt, but please don't say that being vegan is hard. It's not". Marla Rose
58. "Cruelty to animals is as if man did not love God … there is something so dreadful, so satanic, in tormenting those who have never harmed us, and who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power." Cardinal John Henry Newman
59. "God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages." Jacques Deval
60. "We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." William Ralph Inge, Outspoken Essays, 1922
61. "Even in the worm that crawls in the earth there glows a divine spark. When you slaughter a creature, you slaughter God." Isaac Bashevis Singer, writer and Nobel laureate (1902–1991)
62. "You know what’s more insane than slaughterhouses? Meat eaters. Walking around, acting like their lifestyle isn’t causing any harm." Gary Yourofsky
63. "There are two kinds of cardiologists: vegans and those who haven't read the data." Dr. Kim Williams
64. "If you were to meet the animals on your plate face to face, they would show you love. Maybe that is enough of a reason to show love back."
65. "Peace starts on our plate."
66. "My body is not a graveyard."
67. "Tofu never screams."
68. "Compassion is not selective. You either are or you are not."
69. "To everyone who wishes I would stop talking about veganism, how silent would you want me to be if you were the victim?"
70. "I don't talk about veganism because I want everyone to know I'm vegan. I talk about veganism because I want animals to stop being murdered."
71. "Vegan because anything else is accepting cruelty."
72. I can't think of anything better in the world to be but a vegan. Alicia Silverstone
Which of these is your favorite? Do you have any to add to this list?